Sunday, November 11, 2007

Unexpected "emergency"

Q: What do you do when you have a dog that eats all your underwear and you need to sort laundry?
A: You shut your bedroom door, making sure it latches, to keep the dog out.

Q: What do you do when you hear your 4 month old (today!) baby starting to wake up and cry from the swing downstairs?
A: You go get her.

Q: What do you do when you try to open the closed bedroom door, it's stuck, you try harder and the doorknob falls off?


I don't have a good answer for this one. I panicked. alot. i pounded on the door, i tried to pull the painted-over pins out to take the door off the hinges, and i tried to jimmy something with the only tool i could find in my bedroom - a small standard screwdriver to use for eyeglasses. then i opened the window and started yelling. my neighboors next door must have decided to go to church . . . hello divine intervention working backwards. the 3 teenagers coming out of the brown house stopped and looked around the the yelling, but must have decided that the "hey you guys with hats on at the brown house" didn't mean them. Then i climbed onto the roof (I had seen my dad do this successfully to clear the leaves out of the gutters) and tried to get in the bathroom window. The window itself wasn't latched, but the storm window was down. apparently storm windows not only protect your house from storms but from mothers trying to break into their own house to get to their babies. finally my neighbor from the other side of the house figured out what was going on while he was climbing into his van to go fishing. THANK GOD FOR FISHERMAN! the doors were locked so he lent me his cell phone to call my dad to come with his spare key. with very stern directions to my sister to tell my dad to leave immediately, no pissing around.

we finally figured out that i might have left my car unlocked last night - which i did. so my neighbor was able to get in through my garage and then had to get some pliers from his house to open the door.

during this whole thing marley was sitting in her swing watching an old cary grant movie on tv. i challange anyone to tell me tv is not good for children now.

i am now taking off all the door knobs in the house and will replace them as i can.

No comments: